Asian Beauty Brands: 10 Step Korean Skin Care Routine

In 7th grade, I peaked. I exclusively wore Abercrombie, straightened my hair everyday, and did my makeup using brands like Estee Lauder and Lancome. I found myself emulating the girls of The Clique (anyone else religiously read those books?). I felt on top of the world. Then I realized maintaining that whole look what exhausting, I had the budget of a 7th grader, and was turning into an entirely unoriginal copycat of a person I didn't want to be.

Fastforward to college where I essentially became the antithesis of 7th grade me. I saw little value in makeup and was lucky if a hairbrush even touched my hair (I tend to gravitate towards extremes - that's a whole separate topic). My preppy, perfectionist, Abercrombie self was replaced with a new wanna be hippie, type-B, Free People self.

Now I'm in the process of incorporating both personas and giving myself the room to be a little bit of whatever I want to be. Less box, more unique. All this back story to say, in my effort to explore everything that is of interest to me, I've reignited my love of skincare and makeup.

Which leads me to my current passion project: creating my own 10 step Korean skin care routine.
Korean skin care (directly taken from the approach of Korean women) is based on the idea that layering products with specific purposes is the healthiest and most beneficial way to achieve beautiful, glowing skin. As someone who literally only uses honey as a face wash, I heard this concept and was massively skeptical. Sounds like a great way to increase consumerism and clog your pores.

However, since I arrived in China, Korean skin care and makeup brands are everywhere. Cute packaging stares you down, pastels and quirky designs lure you in. At first I sniffed the Kool-aid and hesitantly took a small sip. Now, I've guzzled the whole glass and am stirring up a new batch.

To make matters better/worse, the products are generally inexpensive and the combinations are endless. I'm going to share my current 10 step routine. So far, I have seen mixed results. Generally, I have more issues with comedones than cystic or large pimples. My existing routine is definitely eliminating many of my comedones found on my chin around my mouth. YAY. On the other hand, I have developed more white heads on my chin. However, these are quickly eliminated and then I just wait for my skin to heal. Unfortunately, I also have the tendency to pick at my skin, leading to unnecessary scabbing and redness. GOOD TIMES. Right now, I'm in a healing phase and have not had any new breakouts. I would also like to add that I am almost always sweaty in China. This does not help with skin regardless of any skin care or makeup product.

Okay...onto the good stuff!

Step One: Makeup Remover/Oil Cleanser

I use either Missha Super Aqua Perfect Water Deep Cleanser or Dr. Jart Dermaclear Micro Water. Neither product foams or suds and this step is applied all over the face using a cotton pad.

Step Two: Water-Based Cleanser

That's right, why use one cleanser when you can use two?? I am currently using Skinfood Egg White Pore Meringue Foam with Innisfree Bija Anti-Trouble Facial Foam as a backup.

Step Three: Exfoliator

This step is only to be done 2-3 times a week. So far, I've followed this guideline mainly because the exfoliator I use calls for it to be actively rubbed onto your face for 10 minutes. I do not have the energy to do that more than 3 times a week. I'm using Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off. I kid you not, my face is as soft as a baby's bottom once I'm done. Can I feel my arms? No. Is it worth it? Yes.

Step Four: Toner

I'm using Skinfood Black Pomegranate Toner. The smell is wonderful, but I'm not sold on it's effectiveness. This product may be replaced...stay tuned.

Step Five: Essence

Apparently, this step is the quarterback of the Korean skin care roster. The essence hydrates and aids in skin repair and cell turnover. I'm using Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Essence.

Step Six: Treatments - Serums

You can get super specific with your skincare needs during this step. Whatever your main concern is, there's a serum for you! My go-to right now is either Sephora Camellia Seed Purifying Pore Caring Serum or Dr. Jart Pore Minish Serum.

Step Seven: Masks

I love a good mask. Sheet, clay, peel off, doesn't matter, I don't discriminate. For clay masks, I use Innisfree Volcanic Pore Clay Mask. I also use Doctor Li Blackhead Removing Mask which is technically peel off, but have yet to successfully peel it off. I only use a mask about 2-3 times a week.

Step Eight: Eye Cream

Not going to lie, I don't do this step. I know you're supposed to treat the delicate skin around your eyes with love and care to prevent looking like an old hag when you're 40. But I'm only 23 and have more pressing concerns like keeping my pores under control so I don't breakout like a pre-pubescent boy. Moving on.

Step Nine: Moisturizer

By now, I think we all know the importance of moisturizing no matter your skin type. I use Innisfree Bija Anti-Trouble Lotion.

Step Ten: SPF

I only complete this step in the AM before I go outside for the day. I use either Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream in shade 21 or Dr. Jart Dis-A-Pore BB.

BONUS STEP: Sleep Masks

Sleeping masks are an entirely new concept to me and I'm really into them. You apply this mask after your moisturizer (in the PM) and let it work it's magic overnight. In the morning you wake up with a new face, all your innocence and youth replenished. Just kidding, but in reality sleep masks are a cool concept. I've only used Laneige Water Sleeping Mask once (last night actually) but also have Etude House Bubble Tea Green Tea Sleeping Pack and Tony Moly Panda's Dream White Sleeping Pack on the back burner.

If you want to learn more about this method of skincare, please check out Soko Glam! They are a great resource for all things Korean skincare and have a wonderful blog with awesome tips.

Comments

Popular Posts