Updated Skincare Routine

It's been quite a few months since my first skincare post - my ode to the Korean ten step approach. Although my time in Asia came to a close, my love for ritualistic skincare continues to flourish. Over these past few months I have swapped numerous products from that original litany due to a situation that can only be described as a "skin panic" - meaning my skin was irritated and broken out which consequently sent me into a complete panic. It’s never so obvious to me how much my self-confidence rides on aligning with societal conceptions of beauty as when my skin betrays me. I chalk my skin spiral up to diving headfirst into Korean beauty. I neglected to take into consideration how sensitive my skin in and that  I am still prone to blemishes despite rolling into my (almost mid) twenties and taking birth control (tbh I literally have nightmares about the day I stop taking birth control and my face swells into one giant pimple). All of the new products, extra steps, and frequent masking, while inspiring and enlightening, was also damaging.

So when said skin panic struck, I took a much needed step back from all the steps (get it). Luckily (?), this episode coincided with a trip to Hawaii where I was forced to limit the skincare I could bring. Serendipitously, the resort's spa also carried a line of anti-acne products I had sitting in an online shopping cart. So armed with paired down, targeted products, I was able to rectify some of the damage. But definitely not all. I still am dealing with scaring as well as occasional, new blemishes (largely due to the fact I pick my skin because I'm apparently masochistic).

Now that you've waded through my anecdotal preface, let's get to the good stuff- a peak into my medicine cabinet. Below are the products I am currently using and loving (and are working, for now).

Step One: Oil Cleanser
Step Two: Medicated Cleanser
Step Three: Toner
Step Four: Serums
Step Five: Targeted Treatments (if necessary)
Step Six: Moisturizer
Stop Seven: Eye Crème

Comments

Popular Posts