Fashion for the Ages?

So far in Beijing, I've been absolutely transfixed by women's fashion, almost distractingly so! The style is so different from what I'm used to in the U.S. and I can't get enough. Generally, clothing choices seem to fall into three categories: uber feminine, boxy, and angsty.

Personally, I am obsessed with the unabashedly feminine wardrobes - not necessarily because I'd want to wear the items, but because the style choice is so bold. Baby pink, pastels, bows, frills, flowers, and ruffles all characterize this clothing category. There are lots of stripes and patterns (like gingham, my favorite). And none of these pieces are offset by an item to quell the toddler vibes; they are fully, completely childish, but in a way that is somehow chic and entirely acceptable. 

Another rather common silhouette is a boxy t-shirt with a pair of short shorts or culottes (there are lots and lots of culottes in Beijing). To me, this look screams "I'm bloated on my period" or "Everyone already knows I'm already microscopically tiny so I can still look chic wearing a sack". As a tall, normally built American, I think this style is best left to the Beijingers. 

The last style I call "angsty". Picture variations on Moschino teddy bear t-shirts, baseball caps, and distressed high-waisted jean shorts. Also included in this look are MCM backpacks (in varying degrees of real vs knockoff), Gucci accessories (also unclear if real or not), and cropped graphic tees that look like they came straight from the racks of Forever 21. This ensemble is not complete without some manifestation of a platform shoe (also something I cannot touch with a 10 foot pole). 

A final musing on the fashion in Beijing thus far is the prominence and love of animated characters. From purses, to hair clips, to t-shirts, women and children of all ages sport bunnies, cats, and people on their person and are seemingly not mocked mercilessly. As a closet lover of Hello Kitty, this is one trend I could get behind. 

* I will try to clandestinely take pictures of said categories and update accordingly - stay tuned*


Comments

Popular Posts