Lama Temple

Over the weekend, I seized the opportunity to explore Lama Temple, the biggest Tibetan Buddhist temple in Beijing. The temple was originally constructed in 1694 as a residence for Prince Yong of the Qing Dynasty. In 1744, his successor designated the palace to be a temple.

The main buildings were built along a central axis and the constructional layout embodies characteristics of Manchu, Han, Tibetan, and Mongolian cultures. The facades of the buildings are all traditional red and house a plethora of statues within their walls. The statues range in style, but a majority are made of gold and adorned with colorful offerings and symbols. From the smallest to the largest (4 stories high?), they are all breathtakingly beautiful and ornate.

Lama Temple is not for those with a sensitive nose. Incense wafts from nearly every corner of the site and a shadow of smoke consistently dances through the air. If you close your eyes, you could mistake yourself for being at a head shop, surrounded by pot and tiedye. Either way, I enjoy the smell of incense and was soothed by the aroma.

I found this temple visit to be quite unique - there were monks mingling with tourists and the sounds of prayers and pontification intertwined with the incense. The symbiosis of religious participant and spectator made for a truly one-of-a-kind experience. It may be the incense talking, but I felt a spiritual thread connecting all of us.

Riding on my high, I then wandered around the hutongs that branch out around the temple. I found some knockoff Moschino t-shirts that never fail to entertain me as well as some shops with legitimate designer goods. After enjoying a falafel lunch at an all-vegan restaurant, I happened upon a vintage secondhand store. This place was such a gem! I couldn't pass up a Gucci shoulder bag, Chloe top, and Anna Sui dress (that's just begging to be worn on my upcoming Hawaii trip). When spiritual, satiated stomach, and shopping come together, I am a happy gal. Plus another item off the Beijing bucket list!






















Comments

Popular Posts