Let's Talk About Religion, Baby!

Let’s talk about a taboo table topic (love a little alliteration) …. religion!!

Growing up, I attended church almost every Sunday (and was awarded a pin to prove it). This is not uncommon in my hometown. You would be hard-pressed to spend 5 minutes driving around and not pass a brick building denoted by a large cross. I’ve been intrigued by the mysticism, debated pragmatism, and cultural adaptations of various religions from a weirdly young age. One of my prized possessions as an elementary school kid was a laminated trifold pamphlet comparing and contrasting Christianity, Buddhism, and Judaism. Did this handout see many trips to Target, Borders (RIP), and Girl Scouts? Yes.

As I’ve gotten older (and wiser?), my own religious journey has vacillated from Bible-thumping evangelical to borderline agnostic with a bit of New Age dabbling to somewhere in between. I trust it will continue to morph in conjunction with my life experiences.  

Even though I’m currently living in Beijing, evidence of religious practice in any form is non-existent. So, on a recent trip to Cambodia, I had my first experience with the integration of Eastern religion, specifically Buddhism, into mainstream society. Both 8-year-old me and 23-year-old me was intrigued.

Initially, I thought the way Buddhism appeared in Cambodia was unique – temples from the 12th century as well as shrines in the center of traffic circles, monks wandering barefoot as well as buddhas surrounded by flashing LED lights. But upon further reflection, I decided that this juxtaposition is not at all exclusive to Cambodia or even Buddhism. This is the inevitable modernization of religion.

Today in Christianity, attending a mega-church is a fashionable alternative to traditional services. Why sing from a hymnal when you can stare at a jumbotron??  Or better yet, open your laptop, pop in your earphones, and live stream a sermon from a church of your choosing - all from the comfort of your couch! While I (gently) mock, maybe this seemingly convenience-driven Christianity is necessary to stay relevant. Because religion is supposed to mold to society and not the other way around … right?

In the same way, it was only a matter of time before a highway was built next to a Buddhist shrine once only surrounded by jungle. Although the brilliant gold of the shrine painfully contrasted with the sea of construction rubble and the LED lights around the likeness of Buddha seemed woefully out of place, why wouldn’t an Eastern religion evolve in the same way as a Western one?

So I guess my next question is what is the driver of religious modernization? Is it convenience? Is it relevance? None of the above?

And in addition to physical modernization – such as jumbotrons in church or temples in traffic circles – is doctrine experiencing the same wave of modernization? And should it?

Sounds like I could use another pamphlet.


Comments

Popular Posts