Pens, Pencils, Notebooks...Oh My!

"It's the most wonderful time of the year." No no, not the holidays...back to school! This 30 day window is the only acceptable occassion out of our 365 day year to spend an inordinate amount of time browsing binders, perusing pens, and fondling folders (too far?). Now you might be thinking "but Mara, you're not in school anymore". True. But I posit there is no age limit on the unadulterated joy and excitement that comes from ripping open a new pack of writing utensils or carefully sliding the plastic cover off a yet-to-be-christened notebook. The prospect of using a new pen has helped get me out of bed on more than one occasion (I get it from my mom).

Maybe it's the ode de whiteboard marker (chalk is so 2001) or the frantic energy of suburban SUVs playing Frogger at school drop off, but there's something in the air every September that screams "it's time to get your sh*t together!" In jarring contrast to the carefree attitude of summer, back to school season conjures schedules, deadlines, and focus. Memories of sunning on the beach are quickly buried under stacks of homework and permission slips.

As someone with an abnormal love of organization and stationary, back to school time is the perfect opportunity to let me freak flag fly. Do I need color-coordinated notebooks and pens? Of course not. But do I get a priceless rush of comfort and nostalgia when I unveil them at work. Yes.

Previously obsolete objects are dusted off as they emerge from the recesses of desk drawers. For me, my agenda is ordained with newfound purpose and takes up permanent residence in my bag - heaven forbid we are apart when an important event arises (and we all know an electronic calendar pales in comparison to the intimate contact of pen and paper).

My style transitions from Vanessa Hudgens meets Sarah Vickers (just go with it) to Jenna Lyons meets Rory Gilmore - from the later seasons, obviously. And hot coffee all day every day becomes acceptable, if not encouraged.

So this month, in the spirit of back to school, treat yo self to a fun pen and notebook to house your brilliant ideas. Brew yourself a piping hot cup-o-joe and soak up all the perks of this season without the drag of homework. Unless you're like me and miss homework assignments. Maybe I should schedule some time in my agenda to research grad schools...

Comments

Popular Posts