Aloha from Hawaii: Day Four

Ugh Mondays, am I right? Just kidding! Everyday is Friday when you're on vacation! After sleeping in and enjoying a leisurely breakfast, we set out for a helicopter tour of the islands. Now, despite my many quirks (aka fears), I am not afraid of heights. In fact, I enjoy aerial views! Looking out of planes, being perched on the top of a ferris wheel, and hiking to the top of a mountain does not phase me. However, what unsettles me to my core is turbulence. Yes, turbulence. I do not like the feeling of my stomach dropping to my toes or rising into my throat. I prefer my stomach to not make its presence known at all. So when things get less than smooth in a car, a plane, or (guess what) a helicopter, I crumble like Humpty Dumpty and melt into a weepy pathetic shell of a human.

After working myself up into quite a tizzy before even stepping foot into the helicopter, it was no surprise that I was a wreck during the initial takeoff (and a more internalized wreck throughout the trip). If it wasn't actual turbulence that shook me, it was the anticipation of turbulence. Hot mess, I know.

Besides riding my own emotional rollercoaster, the perspective from the helicopter was absolutely breathtaking (in more ways than one). I sincerely loved soaring above the trees and seeing the beautiful ocean waters from a birds eye view.

Did I cry during takeoff? Yes. Am I grateful for the experience? Yes. Would I ever do it again? Hell no.







Once back on solid ground (God bless), we stopped for lunch in Paia and meandered into various stores lining the sidewalks of the quaint town. Nothing like food and shopping to settle the soul.

That evening, we headed to Lahaina for a luau. With the ocean as a backdrop, we enjoyed a four course meal, each one representing an influential element of Hawaiian culture. Between the food, dancing, and lapping water, the luau was truly magical. A peaceful end to an emotionally chaotic day.




Comments

Popular Posts